[vdr] softdevice A/V sync

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 18:14:03 CET 2006

In <20060127162707.E796712F349 at seneca.muc.de>, Harald Milz wrote:

> Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:
> > I had a similar problem with MPlayer (except the periods of jerking)
> > until someone told me to try -ao oss because it's buggy with alsa. Is
> > softdevice's audio code based on MPlayer's, perhaps?
>
> My softdevice VDR runs very stably (Asus A7V8X, Athlon XP-M 2400+, SUSE
> Linux 9.3, Matrox G550 DVI out (!), 1280x720 resolution). Maybe your
> CPU is too slow or the machine starts swapping. You don't say anything
> about your installation so I can only speculate. Me at your place I'd
> join the softdevice mailing list.

I've got a Celeron 1.2GHz (P3 class) on an i815 (IIRC) chipset [1] and
it only has to cope with up to 720x576 ( :-( ). It should be enough.
Last time I checked CPU load was about 60% while softdevice was running.
It's only got 256MB RAM, but I've been keeping an eye on memory usage,
and it hasn't been swapping lately. When I did run out of RAM in the
past, the symptoms were much more obvious in MPlayer. I think the sound
card is more likely to make a difference.  I'm going to try to get a
Santa Cruz from eBay (none all week, then 2 or 3 end at once).

Are you receiving HDTV, or just outputting PAL to a big monitor? How
does your set-up deal with interlacing?

[1] BTW, even my current £5 sound card is an improvement on the onboard
sound, which is too quiet!

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk