[vdr] Re: 1.3.41 and buffer reserve

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Jan 30 09:58:55 CET 2006

Alain Vaslet wrote:

>>> Arrrrgh! It's a higher bit (data) rate but _not_ bandwidth!
>>
>> But doesn't that ultimately result in a higher bandwidth
>> of that particular broadcast?
>
> ??? NO! The reason why ZDF is broadcasting at a higher bit rate is that
> Eurosport and Euronews went off their transponder (to KDG transponder on
> 23,5°). Bandwidth is a measure of frequency range, measured in hertz.
> This range has _not_ changed which would be rather difficult because
> frequencies on satellites are pretty fix. Also modulation, FEC and
> symbol rate have not been changed.
>
> Alain

I was not referring to the bandwidth of the entire transponder.
I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed. I was referring to the
individual signal of the ZDF channel, with

VPID: 110
APID: 120=deu,121=2ch
DPID: 125=dd

Apparently they are broadcasting that channel using a bigger chunk of
the total transponder capacity, which means a higher data rate, ok,
but ultimately results in a sharper image with more details and better
audio (why else would they do it?). And a sharper image means that
the video signal has a higher bandwidth, doesn't it?

Klaus