[vdr] [RFC] plugins replacing main menu entries 1-4

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Fri Mar 3 13:41:15 CET 2006

Christian Wieninger wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> meanwhile there are many plugins, that could be used as a replacement
> for some of VDR's main menu entries, like "schedule" or "channels".
> Please don't get me wrong, you've done a great job, but some plugin
> authors too ;-) And if the user likes to use a plugin instead of the
> builtin function, why not?
> A real replacement currently can only be done when patching VDR, so what
> do you think about the following change of the MenuMain constructor in
> menu.c? :

>  cPlugin *p = NULL;
>  switch (State) {
>    case osSchedule:         p = CallFirstService("schedule");
>        AddSubMenu(p?(cOsdMenu *)p->MainMenuAction():new cMenuSchedule);
>        break;
>    case osChannels:
>        p = CallFirstService("channels");
>        AddSubMenu(p?(cOsdMenu *)p->MainMenuAction():new cMenuChannels);
>        break;
>    case osTimers:
>        p = CallFirstService("timers");
>        AddSubMenu(p?(cOsdMenu *)p->MainMenuAction():new cMenuTimers);
>        break;
>    case osRecordings:
>        p = CallFirstService("recordings");
>        AddSubMenu(p?(cOsdMenu *)p->MainMenuAction():new
> cMenuRecordings(NULL, 0, true));
>        break;
>
> a plugin could implement a service like "schedule" that only signals
> that it offers this functionality. If so, VDR would call this plugin
> instead of the builtin menus.
>
> Christian

Basically I don't mind doing this.

However, originally I was trying to get a first release candidate for
version 1.4 ready this weekend, but with every new patch that people
want to get in, things are, of course, going to be delayed.

Well, since a few unexpected things came up for this weekend, anyway,
I guess I'll have to abandon that deadline altogether. Which means that
I might as well take a few more weeks and get some more patches in...

Klaus