[vdr] Remote control and view of VDR (over network)

CR oauk32v02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 7 17:22:55 CET 2006

Hi,

For a number of reasons, I want to keep my VDR computer in one room and
view the VDR stream on a second computer which is hooked to the TV.
Ideally, I'd have full-access to VDR on the second computer (EPG, pause
live TV, etc, etc), as if I were on the VDR machine.

Is there any plug-in/patches and programs that would give me this
capability?  I know of VOMP but I have no MediaMVP (the second computer
should be fast enough to do this).

I tried to launch vdr with softdevice and the display exported to the
second computer (and I verified X programs launch, xclock appeared on
second computer's display, etc) but I got a permissions error on the
client:

"
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
"

I would really really appreciate any suggestions.  At this point, it is
not possible for me to hook the TV directly to the VDR computer.  I know
MythTV has this kind of capability but I would really like to avoid going
down that route.

Regards,
CR.