[vdr] DVD with AC3 audio question

Richard Lithvall richard at lithvall.se
Tue Mar 7 23:05:21 CET 2006

Kartsa wrote:

> When SPDIF is connected to decoder normal channel viewing
> becomes impossible because the picture becomes mosaic as if I would have
> poor antenna signal but it does not affect the quality of DVD picture.
> Detaching the cable restores the picture. This could ofcourse be due to
> the fact that both vdr and receiver are connected to antenna wall outlet
>
> Any suggestions :(

Use an optical SPDIF like this:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-SPDIF-Out-Module-W-Cable-4P-Optical-Coaxial-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31492QQitemZ5836718451QQrdZ1>
It will both protect the receiver from the often reported receiver fry
due to too high voltage on the coax SPDIF (5v peak instead of 1v peak)
and isolate the ground between the VDR and the receiver.
I use one myself and it works as expected.

/Richard