[vdr] ring buffer overflow under high cpu load

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Mar 22 18:57:51 CET 2006

C.Y.M wrote:
> I am using vdr-1.3.44 with xine-0.7.8 and everything works fine under normal
> operations.  But, If I start using intensive CPU load applications, such as
> "VDRConvert" to create a dvd, vdr starts giving me ring buffer overflow messages.

I had serious disk throughput issues that were IMHO caused by the file
system driver (reiser) being too CPU-intensive. This also leads to
buffer overruns, since the writer cant keep up with the incoming data.
Things were better on kernel 2.4 and definitely improved on 2.6 after
re-formatting the file system. (fragmentation)

In light cases, playback is jerky while cutting, in severe cases, even
two parallel recordings caused an CPU overload of my C3-600.

Cheers,

Udo