[vdr] Playing MPEG TS files (Re: vdr Digest, Vol 20, Issue 8)

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Tue Sep 5 09:25:48 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:56:07AM +0530, nitin wrote:
> I have just downloaded the vdr source code and successfully build it.
> But it seems that present code will work only for some specific tuner
> card. Can it work for recorded transport stream which are stored in hard
> disk. Please let me know if it is possible and also suggest how to do
> so.

Over a year ago, I converted some MPEG TS clip to the VDR format by
patching the VDR source code so that it would read from the MPEG TS
clip file instead of the /dev/whatever.  Last time I tried it, it
dropped frames also when recording.  Maybe I did something differently.

So, I ended up using mplayer or mencoder.  The output format is "mpegpes".
Maybe something like this:

mplayer file.ts -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes:001.vdr

After that, I think I also created the index file with some "genindex"
program.  Without the index file, VDR cannot seek the video stream.

You may also want to have a look at the softplay plugin of softdevice,
or the mplayer or xine plugins.

	Marko