AW: [vdr] execute command after vdr starts

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Fri Sep 8 01:26:43 CEST 2006

C.Y.M wrote:
> Because in the runvdr script, the vdr command is executed by an "eval" statement
> which basically waits for the process to die before it continues on.

This could be avoided by backgrounding VDR, do other stuff, and then
'wait' for VDR to terminante. 'wait $PID' will even return the error
level of VDR.

> This is how the script makes vdr will restart automatically when it crashes. I'm
> looking for a way to have vdr execute the command so I dont have to guess with
> sleep statements.

So you actually want to start your process some time *after* VDR started
up, so that VDR has initialized some stuff. So for what are you waiting
actually? Reading configuration? Loading plugins? Starting pending
timers? Updating EPG?

Cheers,

Udo