[vdr] Freezes with Reiserfs

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Tue Apr 24 19:34:56 CEST 2007

Guido Fiala wrote:
> Maybe you should mount reiserfs with the "notail" option for video-partitions,
> which should kill most of the overhead. I run reiserfs with vdr since 10
> years or so, no problems at all even when running in 100% used diskspace
> often.

AFAIK notail disables reiser's ability to pack small (<12k) files
together, and since recordings are just a little bit bigger, I don't
think that this would help.

The time I had this issue, I was excessively using VDR's ability to
automatically delete old recordings, so free disk space was always
running down to 1 GByte (39 min), and this remaining GByte was mostly
fragmented down to thousands of pieces of a few KBytes. I doubt that any
other file system would do better.

Cheers,

Udo