[vdr] change make install to be really useful

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Mon Aug 13 23:27:47 CEST 2007

On Montag, 13. August 2007, Joachim Wilke wrote:
> 2007/8/13, Matthias Schwarzott <zzam at gentoo.org>:
> > install-i18n.diff
>
> I already posted this to the list yesterday.
>
> > makefile-destdir.diff:
> > It add variable DESTDIR to makefile to install under $(DESTDIR) instead
> > of / It also adds variable CONFDIR (by default identical to $(VIDEODIR))
> > to be able to set it to different value.
>
> Where gets DESTDIR actually set?

When you do
make install DESTDIR=/directory/I/want/vdr/installed/to

else DESTDIR remains unset and "make install" behaves as always.

The ebuilds do this for example to satisfy some security by using a sandbox
for compiling and installing programs. make install then uses some temporary
image directory.
After that the content gets merged to the live system. (Also preserving
configuration files in that process, ...)

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)