[vdr] improving i18n-to-gettext.pl

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Aug 15 14:43:05 CEST 2007

On 08/15/07 14:02, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 15. August 2007, Matthias Fechner wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
>>> General question: Why is the locale dir called de_DE and not just de - as
>>> that seems what most other programs on my system do?
>> because German is spoken in more then one country: de_DE, de_AT and I
>> think de_CH and more. I havn't not list with all locales here now.
>>

> Yeah, german is spoken in other countries. Is there then a reason to restrict
> the translation to germany?
>
> some example:
> wget installs the file /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo
> this is to provide translations for "all" de* locales. Not just the german
> one, but also for austria and swiss.

I just tried renaming VDR's "de_DE" locale to "de" and did

LC_ALL=de_AT ./vdr

but it came up with the default English texts. Then I renamed
"de" to "de_AT" and did the same again, and I got the German texts.

I was hoping that gettext would be a little more intelligent and
look for

- an exact match ("de_AT")
- a default ("de")
- any suitable language ("de_DE")

but apparently that's not the case - unless I'm doing something wrong.

Klaus