[vdr] Comments on plugin Makefiles

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Aug 15 15:28:00 CEST 2007

On 08/15/07 13:07, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> Hi there!
> This time I have some comments on Makefiles for plugins.
> 1. Is there any reason to not allow plain "make" without target to work? It

No reason.

> would be so easy to move the "all:" target before "%.o: %.c" line.

Well, then let's do it.
I'll change the 'newplugin' script and VDR's own examples accordingly.

> Now when I call make I just get the first .c file compiled. when changing the
> all target to be the first this will do what is necessary.
> 2. Is it really necessary to have compiling and installing inside the same
> target? This even gets more annoying with the new i18n target that also
> spreads all files over my system when hitting "make all".

When compiling a plugin, it is supposed to copy its .so file
to VDR's PLUGINS/lib directory, so that it can be run when
starting VDR from within its source directory. The locale files
are supposed to be in VDR's locale subdirectory for the same

I set LOCDIR in Make.config to ./locale, so that I can run VDR
from within its source directory. I never actually "install" VDR.