[vdr] Comments on plugin Makefiles

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Aug 15 15:28:00 CEST 2007

On 08/15/07 13:07, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> This time I have some comments on Makefiles for plugins.
> 1. Is there any reason to not allow plain "make" without target to work? It

No reason.

> would be so easy to move the "all:" target before "%.o: %.c" line.

Well, then let's do it.
I'll change the 'newplugin' script and VDR's own examples accordingly.

> Now when I call make I just get the first .c file compiled. when changing the
> all target to be the first this will do what is necessary.
>
> 2. Is it really necessary to have compiling and installing inside the same
> target? This even gets more annoying with the new i18n target that also
> spreads all files over my system when hitting "make all".

When compiling a plugin, it is supposed to copy its .so file
to VDR's PLUGINS/lib directory, so that it can be run when
starting VDR from within its source directory. The locale files
are supposed to be in VDR's locale subdirectory for the same
reason.

I set LOCDIR in Make.config to ./locale, so that I can run VDR
from within its source directory. I never actually "install" VDR.

Klaus