Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sat Aug 18 11:17:21 CEST 2007

On 08/18/07 10:32, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> On 08/17/07 15:48, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>>> show up as "deu,ger" etc, and do not work; text shows up in English
>>> despite selecting them.
>>>
>>> Maybe the locales that the user does not have installed on their system
>>> should be hidden?
>> I thought that the language codes should always all be there,
>> to allow selecting other preferred languages, even if there
>> is no locale installed. But maybe I'm mistaken there.
>
> Well, having those in the OSD language selection menu seems strange, if
> only two of those actually work, and others do not show up correctly
> ("deu,ger").
>
> But indeed, the Audio and EPG language selection menus seem to use the
> same list. IMHO the Audio and EPG languages should use a separate list,
> that contains all the language names in the currently selected OSD language.

That would mean that every *.po file would have to contain the name
of every other language, and for every new language that's added, all
other *.po files would have to be extended. Besides, if a user can't
read a language name in the language's own writing, he/she probably
won't understand that langauge, anyway ;-).

>> Please try disabling the code after
>>
>>   // Prepare any known language codes for which there was no locale:
>>
>> in i18n.c and see whether that would do what you expect.
>
> Yes, the languages that have no "locales-XX" package installed on my
> system do not show up in the OSD language selection list anymore.
>
> However, I cannot select them as EPG nor Audio language either, which
> should still be possible.

Please try the attached patch.
It changes the "Setup/OSD/Language" menu to only show the languages
that actually have a locale. Any other language menus display language
names if present, three letter language codes otherwise.

Klaus