[vdr] Locales not working by default when running from source tree

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 21:11:54 CEST 2007

On 8/19/07, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, almost exactly the opposite is the case with PLUGINLIBDIR,
> which by default is ./PLUGINS/lib so that it works inside the
> source-tree, but it is not so good if installed into /usr/local.

I've already seen this problem for people who install vdr.  People
seem to expect that vdr is installed to /usr/local/bin while plugins
go to /usr/local/bin/PLUGINS/lib.  The current Makefile puts:

vdr to $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR), plugins to $(DESTDIR)$(PLUGINLIBDIR), with
DESTDIR empty by default.

ok..  so vdr goes in /usr/local/bin, as expected.. but plugins go in
./PLUGINS/lib..  Again, the most common expected behavior that I see
from users is that vdr be installed to $(BINDIR) and plugins installed
to $(BINDIR)/$(PLUGINLIBDIR).  vdr in /usr/local/bin, plugins in
/usr/local/bin/PLUGINS/lib.

Also, when cleaning plugins, shouldn't ALL copies be cleaned?  Why
would you clean plugins binaries from ./PLUGINS/lib but not from your
install path is as well?  In the previous example,
/usr/local/bin/PLUGINS/lib..  It seems fitting & expected to: @-rm -f
$(BINDIR)/$(PLUGINLIBDIR)/*.so.$(APIVERSION)

Just my observations...