[vdr] Mid range CPU choice

Marko Myllymaa myllymaa at iki.fi
Tue Aug 21 16:37:31 CEST 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Nicolas Huillard wrote:

> covert covert a écrit :
> My question is what CPU should I chose for good noise reducing , heat
> reducing solutions.

The most efficient CPU are still the VIA ones... Low power, very low
heat, very low noise.
There are lots of EPIA mobos (Mini-ITX for factor) with fanless CPUs
around. With these, you get only one PCI slot, but everything is
integrated on the motherboard.
Using a good laptop-like power block (efficient and fanless), you can
have a really silent setup (one slow fan for the whole system).

VIAs are good, but if you need more processing power then you need to get
Amd or Intel.

I have following setup and it feels quiet enough, mostly thanks to the
case design.

Case is Antec's NSK-2400, cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE, cpu
cooler is Thermalright SI-97A, motherboard is Asus M2NPV-VM and hard drive
is WD caviar SE16.

The case has two 12" fans on the side, just next to the heatpipe cpu
cooler. So, no need for fan for the cpu cooler. Case fans are "tricools"
and I run them in the lowest speed.

I can't hear anything from the machine from one meter away.

With Turion cpu you could drop one case fan out.. I haven't tested, maybe
I could also. My cpu uses 65W of power and if I remember correctly turions
use something like 25W.

> For processing power and cost I am looking at AMD AM2 4000 and Intel
> Duel Core E2140 and Intel core2 Duo E4400. I am open to other
> suggestions as long as they can currently be purchased in store.
>
> Since the system will be spending 95% of it's time idle I want a CPU
> that can drop down to the slowest possible clock speed with the least
> power consumption. I will also be using temperature controlled fans to
> keep it real quiet and any other ways I can find to drop down power
> and noise.

Drop noise:
* suspend the disk drive with rubber bands
* carefully design the air path inside the case

Look the design of Antec's NSK-2400 (or fusion). I think that's very good
for air flow.

   Marko