[vdr] Mid range CPU choice

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Tue Aug 21 20:45:04 CEST 2007

Magnus Hörlin schrieb:

>covert covert wrote:
>

>>About to step into the deep end and build my first VDR box. In fact 2
>>of them at the same time both with the exact same specs.
>>
>>All parts are going to be new.
>>
>>New CPU's are a lot more confusing than the simple days of single
>>cores at fixed clockspeeds.
>>
>>My question is what CPU should I chose for good noise reducing , heat
>>reducing solutions.
>>
>>For processing power and cost I am looking at AMD AM2 4000 and Intel
>>Duel Core E2140 and Intel core2 Duo E4400. I am open to other
>>suggestions as long as they can currently be purchased in store.
>>
>>Since the system will be spending 95% of it's time idle I want a CPU
>>that can drop down to the slowest possible clock speed with the least
>>power consumption. I will also be using temperature controlled fans to
>>keep it real quiet and any other ways I can find to drop down power
>>and noise.
>>
>>Advice on the best CPU choice would be much appreciated.

>I think AMD's are perfect for this since they consume less than Intels
>at low load. I have a Sempron 3200 on a mobo with Nvidia 7050 and HDMI
>onboard together with an 80W picoPSU. This gives me a fanless VDR
>frontend that draws only 30W from AC mains during TV replay and cost
>about €200. And at night it gives enough power to do as much h.264
>encoding I need. I guess you'll want DVB cards and disks in your box,
>but I prefer to have them on my server in the attic. If you wait just a
>few weeks you'll have 65nm Sempron's to give you even more processing
>power per Watt.

Have to agree here :) With AM2 the Athlon 64 EE SFF (35W)* is a nice
option - or the new BE 2350 with 45W.
Other options are  Socket 754 with the Turions and sempron mobile with
35W resp. 25W depending on the model (This i have running).

* EE SFF is imortant as the EE has 65W TDP.
* the availability of all options except the BE is not that good i guess
- don't think you will get it at the store around the corner.
* VIA CPUs are not midrange but low range processing power
* for processing power per watt the two athlons will be the best i guess