[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] VDR-1.5.12: some "micro" speed improvements

Georg Acher acher at in.tum.de
Thu Dec 27 13:39:29 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 12:42:30AM +0100, Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,
> some more patches:
> HASHSIZE should be a prime: 512 looks like a typo of 521.

That is related to my original hash patch a few years ago. It is not a typo!
If you don't have a special distribution with clusters it doesn't matter if
the hash size is prime or not. In fact the modulo operation is slower
than the AND on old CPUs...
> oprofile and gprof showed the possibilty to speed up some OSD drawing
> operations. Please find attached a patch for DrawRectangle and
> DrawBitmap. BTW: text2skin will not benefit from the DrawBitmap changes
> as it uses it's own copy of DrawBitmap.

Seems that work needs to be done always twice :( I made similar improvements
for the Reel-vdr almost two years ago (replacing SetIndex by a faster
version without dirty-update). AFAIK RMM also submitted the patches. At that
time nobody was interested in them ("vdr is fast enough" or the like).

         Georg Acher, acher at in.tum.de