[vdr] Too many open files - error

Artur Skawina art_k at o2.pl
Tue Feb 20 22:00:52 CET 2007

Kartsa wrote:
>>> ERROR: /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0: Too many open files
>>>
>>> I do not recall seeing this earlier. This came when fourth simultaneous
>>> recording started.
>> dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.c-  if (i == dmxdev->filternum) {
>> dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.c-          mutex_unlock(&dmxdev->mutex);
>> dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.c:          return -EMFILE;
>> dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.c-}
>>
>> IOW you ran out of filters.
>> yes, the error code should probably be different (eg EBUSY).
>>
> So, why did I ran out of filters? Why did it happen? Why doesn't it
> happen on my other vdr box? And what does it cause? The recording did
> succeed.

you (well, vdr) used more filters than were available (in hw)? less simultaneous recordings, different hw and/or config? ("hw_sections" module parm?). Apparently vdr recovered somehow (eg another recording ended, the filters were opened in a different order etc).

Can't help you much more, I haven't used a FF card in years -- and since then all dvb-related problems vanished...  It wasn't 100% reliable when live viewing, not to mention a single recording; a few novas have absolutely no problems w/ ~ 4-6 simultaneous recordings (never counted, but i believe it could go even higher) and this is on really low end hw (P2)...