[vdr] [RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Mon Jan 1 17:40:25 CET 2007

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> In gentoo vdr package we added a small hack (attached), which implements a
> svdrp call "down" to tell vdr it is inactive and will shutdown in X minutes.
>
> We call this from shutdown-scripts to let vdr retry shutdown in 5 min (or
> other value if needed).

Question is: Is this still needed?

VDR already retries after an acceptable time, and VDR probably knows
better whether an user is currently active or not. The only reason I
could think of is that VDR was started without a timer nearby, and the
start script knows that this is not an user start. And sending a kPower
key press will also let VDR go inactive.

Things were different in old versions, where VDR retried shutdown after
3 hours or so, but that has changed.

Cheers,

Udo