[vdr] New VDR hardware

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 16:47:43 CET 2007

In <200701041125.02643.zzam at gentoo.org>, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:

> On Thursday 04 January 2007 10:20, Laz wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm...I've got one of these and I've never seen it disconnect yet
> > (a few months so far...fingers crossed!).
> >
> > When I've seen USB disconnections with two USB2 Nova-T devices, I was
> > getting things like /dev/dvb/adapter0, /dev/dvb/adapter2,
> > /dev/dvb/adapter3, i.e. adapter1 missing from where one of them had
> > been originally before disconnecting and then being reassigned as
> > adapter3! in this situation, vdr only sees the first DVB device
> > because it starts at adapter0 and stops counting when the next number
> > doesn't exist.
>
> This is something I would like to change.
> Just let vdr iterate over (number only an example) the first 8 dvb-adapters
> and try them.
>
> For now you can also have your runvdr give vdr the parameters -D 0 -D 2 -D 3
> (script loop) to use all adapters.
>
> Or better: Ask hal (if available) to enumerate them. That could even enable us
> to get vdr hotplug-able.
> My long term goal is to get the dvb-driver no longer crash on disconnect, but
> just signalize The error ENODEV. And that vdr cope with device plug/unplug.

Unfortunately HAL doesn't seem to support DVB devices. Nor is there a
generic way to find a device's /dev node AFAICT; it can only provide
that information for devices with a class it knows about. If there's a
way to get HAL uids based on /dev node and vice-versa, eg through udev,
HAL might work though.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk