[vdr] [RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Jan 10 14:37:26 CET 2007

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> However, (don't know exactly if this has already been suggested as such)
> maybe a simple feature in the new shutdown code could be to allow the
> user to specify *one* time at which VDR shall be guaranteed to be "up",
> along with a time period for which it shall stay up. That way external tools
> could be scheduled using "cron", and they could rely on VDR being up
> at that time.

The downside of this would be that again several external tasks would
fight for one resource: the time set in VDR. And it wouldn't be much
different from the current possible solution to compare the VDR wakeup
time with other wakeup times in the shutdown script.

For the 0.2 patch, I've added the interface for plugins to modify the
wakeup time. That way it shouldn't be too difficult to implement a task
scheduler plugin that can be extended to everyone's need, and to
implement basic scheduling in existing plugins. (epgsearch for example
could implement a wakeup-at-night feature quite easily.)

Cheers,

Udo