[vdr] streamplayer - no audio when streaming audio only?

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Jan 10 18:49:43 CET 2007

Lars Fredriksson wrote:
> I'm trying to use VLC to stream an mms:// as MPGA to my VDR-box where I
> have installed the streamplayer plugin, but I get no sound!
>
> Streamplyer says it's receiving a stream and the bitrate show, the
> buffering value goes up to the value a specify and the starts over from
> 0 again.

The problem is that the current (primitive) code waits forever to detect
a video packet to know its PID. Audio-only streams are not yet really
supported.

One workaround is to mix in some video dummy stream, another is to fool
the detection: If you first play a short video clip, and then start the
audio stream, streamplayer already has found a PID for video and
continues playing even if no video data arrives. This should work even
if the http stream reconnects, just exiting and re-starting streamplayer
will trigger a new detection.

Cheers,

Udo