[vdr] VDR not starting properly with softdevice on boot

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 18:34:50 CET 2007

In <45ACF11B.7010600 at kniivila.com>, Kartsa wrote:

> I have Fedora Core 6 and vdr installed using yum. The problem is that it
> takes all the cpu time after boot and I have to restart vdr to make it
> run properly. I have vdr-1.4.4 with softdevice-0.3.1 and
> subtitles-0.4.0. My cpu is PIII 550MHz and I use softdevice with Matrox
> G400 (and DirectFB). After restarting vdr it works fine but that is not
> very convenient :) I've tried changing the point when vdr starts by
> modifying the init scripts chkconfig values.
>
> After restarting vdr cpu load is about 60%.
>
> Any hints? I.e. how/when should matroxfb kernel module be loaded? Now I
> load it in rc.modules.

You could try the xine output plugin with df_xine instead. It's better
at A/V sync than softdevice IME, and you can turn the video on and off
to save power, or to watch something else, eg a DVD, while VDR is still
running in the background for recording etc. Use
http://boxstar.sourceforge.net to tie it all together all under the
control of one remote.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk