[vdr] [RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Rolf Ahrenberg rahrenbe at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jan 31 08:02:58 CET 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

I was in a bit hurry when writing those translations, so don't take them
as written into stone - they do need some polishing.

> I agree with you that it is good to maintain a consistent style.
> However, "The passive voice should be avoided."  I quickly browsed some
> tooltips in GNOME, and I didn't see the passive form anywhere.

Sure, and my Finnish teacher told that one many times too. However, I'm
more familiar with it when the object is non-living.

> I would rather write "käynnistyy" instead of the foreign "aktivoituu".

But VDR starts ("käynnistää") all plugins already at the beginning and
depending on the plugins behaviour it's activated on main menu action,
external trigger, ... So, using the "käynnistää" as activate confuses me
a bit and I'd avoid using it here, but I can live with it.

> But this is not in passive form, is it?  To be consistent with your
> suggestion "VDR sammutetaan" ("VDR will be shut down"), it should be
> "Laajennos aktivoidaan" or "Laajennos käynnistetään" ("Plugin will be
> activated").  That sounds unnecessarily complicated to me, as does
> "VDR sammutetaan".  The passive form is used when the subject is not
> known.  We know that it is VDR that shuts down itself or activates a
> plugin.  The active form is also shorter than the passive form.

Yes and no :) The passive is hidden in to the end ("sammutetaanko?") and
the explanation at the start ("Laajennos käynnistyy %ld minuutin
kuluttua") doesn't have to be as we aren't expecting any response to it.

Does VDR really shut _itself_ off ("VDR sammuu")? I've always think that
it just listens signals from OS that can be generated via the external
shutdown script.

BR,
--
rofa