[vdr] FF card AV sync problems, possible fix to VDR

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:21:27 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de> wrote:

> VDR User wrote:
> > From what he's saying, the problem is buffer overrun's, not underrun's.
> > Too much data is being sent and the device isn't able to keep up.  If
> > that's the case then it would make sense for vdr to have a user setting
> > to limit how many seconds (or milliseconds perhaps?) worth of data is
> > sent to the buffer.  I can't think of any reason not to add such a
> > feature if it means better usability for the end-user.
>
> If the device can't take any more data, it should just refuse to
> accept it and return from the write() call without anything written.

I disagree.  Simply returning from write() implies the data was written and
the device is ready for more.  If this is not true then you risk making the
sync even worse.  I consulted with people familiar with this type of stuff
and it was suggested the problem could (and should) be fixed at the driver
level so I'm following up on that now.  Hopefully we'll find a good (or at
least resonable) solution to this last little bit of a/v sync frustration.