[vdr] [RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 22:55:11 CET 2007

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> First, and more important: Can you please suspend the playback of
> recordings when Shutdown.IsUserInactive() holds?  Here is the relevant
> hunk from my vdr-suspend patch:

This would break the other interesting feature, shut down VDR as soon as
the playback ends. Also, this would require a long and visible warning
that VDR will soon stop playback because of inactivity, so the user wont
be confused by the sudden stop of the playback.

> Alternatively, could you suggest how to fix this in softdevice?

Maybe not switching off display while doing playback? It doesn't make
much sense anyway to run playback invisible.

> Second request: Consider modifying cDevice::Action() so that
> non-recording tuners will not be read during user inactivity.
> The kernel would then be able to turn off unnecessary tuners.

We had this discussion before, and since the majority of VDRs continues
to display live video, I don't think that this should be part of VDR
itself, and I don't really want to extend this patch into the deeper
parts of cDevice.

To de-tune live devices, a plugin could display a still, like
streamdev-server does, to free up devices.

> Actually, it'd be nice to turn off any unneeded tuners, also
> during interactive use (multi-tuner setups, or watching recordings).

Unneeded tuners get de-tuned. Provide there are unneeded tuners. (I know
that my primary FF card tuner gets de-tuned if I play back a recording.)

Cheers,

Udo