[vdr] OT: issues about binary only code in GPLed programs [WAS] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

Georg Acher acher at in.tum.de
Sun Jul 1 16:36:20 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 02:33:21PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> That doesn't matter. It's still Linux-based and you still need to release the
> modified sources (I'd say enough to allow the building of a complete
> filesystem image for the device).

To make it clear: This whole argument is *ONLY* about the HDMI chip driver,
which is the only closed source part in the kernel. This part is *not* a
modification of some existing code. You can build the whole image without it
(or maybe with a dummy module) from source, and all the video decoding and
analog output will still work, but you lose and HDMI/DVI output.

Maybe there will be a better solution later, but for the moment that's it.
There are enough real challenges in the project than thinking about how that
module can be put into user space...

         Georg Acher, acher at in.tum.de