[vdr] OT: issues about binary only code in GPLed programs [WAS] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

Georg Acher acher at in.tum.de
Sun Jul 1 19:40:11 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 06:47:18PM +0200, Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:

> or better or whatever. cool, no problem. what? you signed a NDA that
> does not allow you distribute the os in the first place? your bad.

Once again, and now in capitals.

IT'S ONLY THE HDMI DRIVER. THE REST OF THE KERNEL IS GPL AND YOU CAN FIDDLE
WITH IT AS YOU LIKE.

You won't find any HDMI chip without NDA for the forseeable future. No NDA,
no chips, no HDMI. So there's simply no choice at all and analog inputs are
slowly dying. A card without HDMI is already dead in the market.

If that security-by-obscurity is reasonable due to possible bus snooping,
hacking, whatever: Surely not. Logitech also didn't gave me a datasheet for
their Quickcam, so I reverse-engineered in in a few days with an USB
analyzer. But this is not the point. If the vendor has the choice to sell
cards or pay a multi million penalty, all these theoretical ideas get
unimportant and the vendor cares about each single letter in the NDA.

         Georg Acher, acher at in.tum.de
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher