[vdr] OT: issues about binary only code in GPLed programs [WAS] future VDR and Net??eiver OEM from Reelmultimedia

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Sun Jul 1 23:52:58 CEST 2007

On 01.07.2007 21:10, Georg Acher wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:43:04PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>
> > If only the hardware vendors where as "united" as the movie-industry.
>
> HDCP was invented by Intel, Silicon Image holds a lot of patents on DVI and
> HDMI. As long as they can sell chips and licenses, they don't care about the
> consumer, looks quite united to me ;-)

That's the "back-stabbing"-part i meant.

You can be certain that there is someone to pick up a knife laying around.

Here is another example of such a "knife" thing from today:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/07/01/0221213.shtml

They invented it because they think that someone will want it (and most
probably someone will), just the same as Intel/Silicon Image.

Another word would be:
"anticipatory obedience" ("vorauseilender Gehorsam" (translated by dict.leo.org))

Bis denn