[vdr] diff and po-files = huge patches?

Torsten Kunkel vdrml at tkunkel.de
Tue Oct 9 08:23:33 CEST 2007

Hi,
while working on a patch I noticed a small problem creating such a patch
with the "new" translation.
When adding new translations, you have to call "make i18n" in order to get
the translation generated to the gettext-files, but when doing this, all
linenumbers get updated.
The diff looks like this (just an example):

x--x--x--x--x
 [...]

-#: keys.c:63
+#: keys.c:64
 msgid "Key$User6"
 msgstr "Benutzer6"

-#: keys.c:64
+#: keys.c:65
 msgid "Key$User7"
 msgstr "Benutzer7"

-#: keys.c:65
+#: keys.c:66
 msgid "Key$User8"
 msgstr "Benutzer8"

 [...]
x--x--x--x--x

Because of this, a patch of about 5kb will have about 150kb because of
these changes.
What is the best way to avoid this?
The only way I can think of is to generate the files with "make i18n" and
then copy the new parts to a temporary file, after this discard the
generated files, copy over the orignal ones and add the changes from the
temp-file to them.
But this much more work than just running diff.
Is there a better way to do a diff with new/changed translations?

Greetings

	Torsten