[vdr] VDR 1.5.10, Subtitles gets out of sync

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Oct 21 12:46:34 CEST 2007

On 10/17/07 19:35, Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Elias Luttinen wrote:
>
>> I also noticed that subtitles disappeared when I was watching YLE TV1, but
>> they also went missing from cable television provider's analog channel
>> later.
>>
>> About the same time when subtitles vanished the following entry was
>> written to the log:
>>
>> Oct 16 21:02:22 jupiter vdr: [2515] subtitleConverter thread started
>> (pid=2452, tid=2515)
>> Oct 16 21:05:30 jupiter vdr: [2509] switching to pre 1.3.19 Dolby Digital
>> compatibility mode
>> Oct 16 21:05:30 jupiter vdr: [2509] setting audio track to 1 (0)
>>
>> Why to switch to pre 1.3.19 Dolby Digital compatibility mode?
>>
>> I didn't notice any sync problems or picture freeze. I'm using satellite
>> FF card with cable budget card.
>
> I confirm the same logfile entry. I was watching "heute" on ZDF (ASTRA
> 19.2E) a few minutes ago. Subtitles appeared as expected, but after a
> while, the above log entry appeared, and there were no more changes on
> screen regarding subtitles.
>
>>From that time on, every subtitle caused a "crack" in the dolby audio
> track and vdr-xine reported some FIXME's in code which deals with dolby
> audio packets.
>
> It seems to me, that subtitle packets slip through as "ancient" dolby
> audio packets.

The attached patch makes the device wait for at least 10 "ancient" dolby
packets before it actually switches to the old mode. That way it can
overcome short glitches, which apparently happen sometimes with subtitle
tracks. Of course, the problem is *why* do these glitches occur in the first
place, so maybe this is just a temporary workaround...

Klaus