[vdr] Quota and VDR (1.6.0)

Manfred Schmidt-Voigt manfred.schmidt-voigt at mannitec.de
Mon Apr 14 00:26:53 CEST 2008

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:
> On 03/23/08 10:46, Manfred Schmidt-Voigt wrote:
>> Manfred Schmidt-Voigt schrieb:
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> I have a diskless VDR machine in my livingroom (so its very quit). My
>>> /video is mounted by nfs from a Servermachine under the roof. On that
>>> server I have set a groupquota for that /video directory to save some
>>> place for other applikations on that filesystem (raid 5 - 4x400G).
>>>
>>> I have exeeded now the space on that filesystem for that group and in
>>> the syslog of the VDR I can see related messages.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] switching device 1 to channel 1
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] timer 18 (1 0852-1152 '@TITLE
>>> EPISODE') start
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] Title: 'Tigerenten Club' Subtitle:
>>> 'Der Club zum Mitmachen'
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] record
>>> /video/@Tigerenten_Club_Der_Club_zum_Mitmachen/2008-03-09.08.52.50.99.rec
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] creating directory
>>> /video/@Tigerenten_Club_Der_Club_zum_Mitmachen
>>> Mar  9 08:52:32 stereo vdr: [4167] ERROR:
>>> /video/@Tigerenten_Club_Der_Club_zum_Mitmachen: Disk quota exceeded
>>>

>>> But the VDR Software doesn't recognize that. It does not start to mark
>>> old recording for removing. In the menu overview it show still some
>>> hours free space util the end of the complete filesystem.
>>>
>>> Now my question: Do I have to configure something special in VDR that
>>> it recognizes the Quota setting of that directory or have I to use
>>> userquota for the user of VDR (in my case it is root but if it is the
>>> only solution I could change it to a regular user, but only if it
>>> helps for my problem)?
>>>
>>> Some revision data:
>>> VDR 1.4.5 ( yes, I'm waiting for 1.6 )
>>> Debian Etch on both VDR and Server
>>>

>>> Thank you
>>> Manfred
>>>

>> Hi List,
>>
>> because nobody answers me I have to answer myself:
>>
>> No, VDR is not able to follow Quota. It is looking only for the standard
>> size parameters of the filesystem... ;-(
>>
>> So I had to help myself. The outcome is a patch/hack for my current VDR
>> Version 1.4.5. But it should be easy to apopt it also to newer versions.
>>  I have glued it together out of several GOOGLE sniplets. Maybe somebody
>> can look over this patch who has more ability to code this according
>> real C++ styles. I'm not used to progamm in C++. But for this little
>> patch it was sufficient.
>>
>> To use this you have to install the quota package on your server and
>> maybe the quota-utils on your client. For your convenience I have
>> included already the rquota-files into this patch. (I hope its according
>> to any licenses)
>>
>> Have fun
>> Manfred
>
> Sorry, but this is really too much to change for implementing quota handling.
> Besides, if an application actually needs to do this much to follow system
> [...]

Applications, which do not care about quota, can not really do what they
want, they only can not write to the filesystem if the quotalimit is
reached. Thats what quota is made for. But if you would like to react on
such a limit in a more intelligent way you have to ask for that limit
and not only for the simple filesystem limit. statfs(..) only delivers
the 'physical' limits of the filesystem. So vdr could not make new
recordings when the limit is reached because it checks for the
filesystemlimit. This value shows vdr to have enough space. So it never
starts to delete old recordings.

I have changed the patch a little bit because there was a logical fault
in it. But now it's for vdr-1.6.0. I have not tested the xfs part
because currently I use only ext3 or nfs. So this should be tested maybe
by somebody else or if you would like to implement such a logic into vdr
leave it out or comment it out or do it your own way. The problem here
is that by each kind of check of the different filesystems you receive
different numberunits of something what is called a block. It seems so
that all the people, which implements  the quotalogic for the different
filesystems, had a different thought what a block should look like...

Manfred

--
-------                   Manfred Schmidt-Voigt                  -------
-----                        www.mannitec.de                       -----