[vdr] PCI fun (RGB/PAL over VGA at variable frame rate)

Thomas Hilber vdr at toh.cx
Wed Aug 27 19:43:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 03:08:14PM +0200, Theunis Potgieter wrote:
> I found this to be useful for me, however I'm using PAL at 50Hz and not NTSC
> colour encoding.
>
> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/video_card_configuration.html
>
> Nice background information.

Right - some nice info. But the vga-sync-fields patch now voids some
statements. It's no longer true that softdecoders must sync to the graphics
card. In our case it's the other way round. As it should be.

The patch of course is for PAL at 50Hz though NTSC should also be possible.

In the meantime I issued a few more releases of the vga-sync-fields patch.
Version vga-sync-fields-0.0.7 together with xineliboutput Version 1.0.1 or
newer and parameter setting

xineliboutput.Advanced.LiveModeSync = 0

give very good results for both viewing recordings and Live-TV. The system is
already productive here. I will describe the new setup in my next release.

Cheers
  Thomas