[vdr] vdr + xbmc

Niels Wagenaar n.wagenaar at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 2 16:02:12 CET 2008

-----Original message-----
From: Alex Betis <alex.betis at gmail.com>
Sent: Tue 02-12-2008 15:54
To: VDR Mailing List <vdr at linuxtv.org>;
Subject: Re: [vdr] vdr + xbmc

> -- SNIP --
> I was intrigued to see what is this XBMC all around and found that thread in XBMC
> forum:
> http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36988
>
> Looks like there is a way to stream live TV to XBMC from VDR already. Any
> reason you don't use that option and prefer to have 2 frontends?

That plugin had some issues last time I tried it. For instance:

- zapping is very slow on encrypted and non-encrypted channels;
- No bouquets are shown;
- 4:3 broadcasts doesn't get automaticly set to 16:9 output;
- Plugin needs to configured/started within video environment of XBMC (no own menu);

Just not really workable atm, at least for me that is. But there's talk about implenting VDR frontend within XBMC. But that's just it, it's just talk.

For a high WAF implementation, the VDR/XBMC switch wins hands down.

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar