[vdr] VDR with S2API (update)

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Mon Dec 15 10:22:48 CET 2008

Udo Richter a écrit :
>> * if 2 VDRs record the same program at the same time, it seems to a be a
>> big problem... If using a slightly different EPG data, this result in 2
>> recordings with different times, and if using the exact same EPG, this
>> result in something weird and maybe unusable (say, same station, same
>> EPG, one via DVB-S, the other one via DVB-T, two different streams in
>> one file...)
>
> This would be a lot better with a client-server timer structure. And in
> the end, I'm pretty sure you don't need two VDR instances to record two
> different programs into the same folder, or?

...this is a human error, but AFAIK nothing prevents it...

Other point : previous emails talk about various possibilities about DVB
device "location".
My ideal setup would be :
* all DVB devices in a single headless always-on server
* all clients diskless, using an NFS share

This avoids to raise problems like DVB devices spread around on clients,
all with different capabilities, etc. Which could be a real nightmare
WRT selecting the proper (powered on) device for recording/liveview, etc...
I understand that VDR needs a plugin to solve issues like various DVB-S
devices not pointed at the same satellite. Distributing this problem in
a client/server setup seems arbitrarily complex to me.

(I currently have DVB devices partly spread around, and I don't want VDR
or any plugin to solve this issue, as I can just move hardware around)
(I also think that VDR is the only STB that can record many channels
regardless of the number of tuners : every other commercial STB I know
of can record one channel per tuner, and does not even try to suggest
that it could be possible to record a second one without a second tuner.
The bar is fairly low here, and VDR works much better than normal people
expect)

Cheers,

--
NH