[vdr] Straw poll: stable version 1.6.0 now?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Feb 4 18:11:35 CET 2008

On 02/04/08 10:15, Tobi wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> I believe there is a patch for that, but that's not the way I want to
>> implement it.
>
> Yes we have this patch in the (unofficial!) Debian package to support
> the ttxtsubs plug-in. The Patch is maintained by Rolf Ahrenberg.
>
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~rahrenbe/vdr/patches/
>
>> I want to convert the incoming teletext subtitles to
>> DVB subtitles, so that on the recording/display side we only need to deal with
>> one type of subtitles.
>
> I think this shouldn't be too hard to do. Would you accept come
> contributed coded that does this?

All I can say is that I will look at such a patch (as time permits)
and either use it directly, in a modified way, or not at all ;-).

> Teletext subtitles are just in general
> kinda ugly, because somtetimes even the announcement of the teletext
> page for the subtitles isn't correctly implemented on the provide side.
> This means, you need some way to configure the teletext subtitles page
> per channel.

This is one point that I really don't like about this.
If there is an official way how the teletext subtitle page is
announced, the broadcasters should use it - and not force the
viewers to use ugly workarounds.

>>  (Besides, I guess some day teletext subtitles
>> will become obsolete, anyway).
>>

> I'm not sure about that. At least the ZDF here in Germany uses DVB
> subtitles now, but I don't think the other broadcasters will follow very
> fast.

I believe the ARD is also looking into this.

At any rate, using DVB subtitles would be the optimal solution.

Klaus