[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] DVB-S2 + H.264 support for VDR-1.5.12

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 19:13:54 CET 2008

Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Manu Abraham schrieb:
>
>>> I know DVB-S2 cards can do DVB-S that's the reason to force VDR to use
>>> DVB-S only cards for DVB-S before the DVB-S2 ones, which if you want a
>>> DVB-S2 channels, so is your DVB-S2 cards free.
>>>
>>> But one should get a way to tell VDR no to try to tune DVB-S2 channels
>>> on DVB-S card.
>> You can do that. In fact the application should do a DVBFE_GET_INFO. This will query
>> the capability of that specific driver. Based on the driver capabilities, issue a tuning
>> request. That way a tune will be attempted only on the capable device.
>>
>> It is a simple check, though.
>>
>> Reinhard,
>>
>> The patched version doesn't look at the device capability flags, before issuing a tune ?
>> Or is something else wrong/missing ?
>
> I must admit, I didn't have a look at the source code so far, but
> from what I recall, I don't think that it is that easy. I think,
> a simple check will only make VDR tell you that the channel in
> question cannot be received.
>
> I've experienced myself that VDR used the DVB-S2 card for a DVB-S
> recording and then endlessly tried to switch to a DVB-S2 channel
> using the DVB-S card -- obviously without success.

How can you ask a DVB-S device to tune to DVB-S2 ? Poor demodulator,
it has to do what it is not even capable of. :)

> VDR's device selection logic is already quite complex. It has to
> deal with FF cards which have so far been used to watch the DVB-S
> channels, cards which provide CI interfaces and simple receiver
> cards. Moreover it now would have to deal with cards capable of
> doing DVB-S2, with or without CI interface respectively.

The logic wouldn't be much different. It is the same as requesting a DVB-C
device to be tuned to DVB-S. The CI interface doesn't make the hardware
look any different.

> As I'm only distributing the DVB-S2 part which Marco Schlüßler
> provided several months ago, I've contacted him and asked him for
> an update.

Ok, I will ask Marco on the relevant. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Manu