[vdr] [ANNOUNCE] DVB-S2 + H.264 support for VDR-1.5.12

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Wed Jan 2 23:10:51 CET 2008

Hi,

Manu Abraham schrieb:

>>> The patched version doesn't look at the device capability flags, before issuing a tune ?
>>> Or is something else wrong/missing ?
>>
>> I must admit, I didn't have a look at the source code so far, but
>> from what I recall, I don't think that it is that easy. I think,
>> a simple check will only make VDR tell you that the channel in
>> question cannot be received.
>>
>> I've experienced myself that VDR used the DVB-S2 card for a DVB-S
>> recording and then endlessly tried to switch to a DVB-S2 channel
>> using the DVB-S card -- obviously without success.
>
> How can you ask a DVB-S device to tune to DVB-S2 ? Poor demodulator,
> it has to do what it is not even capable of. :)
>
>> VDR's device selection logic is already quite complex. It has to
>> deal with FF cards which have so far been used to watch the DVB-S
>> channels, cards which provide CI interfaces and simple receiver
>> cards. Moreover it now would have to deal with cards capable of
>> doing DVB-S2, with or without CI interface respectively.
>
> The logic wouldn't be much different. It is the same as requesting a DVB-C
> device to be tuned to DVB-S. The CI interface doesn't make the hardware
> look any different.
>
>> As I'm only distributing the DVB-S2 part which Marco Schlüßler
>> provided several months ago, I've contacted him and asked him for
>> an update.
>
> Ok, I will ask Marco on the relevant. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, I was in contact with Marco already and attached you'll
find a minimalistic change which reports "channel not available".
Now VDR should already be able to kick a low priority DVB-S
recording (or transfer thread) from a DVB-S2 device.

Still missing is to prefer DVB-S devices for DVB-S recordings so
that DVB-S2 devices remain available for DVB-S2 recordings of
same priority.

The patch is incremental to the original dvbs2 patch from
yesterday, i. e. you can simply apply it to your already patched VDR.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de