[vdr] need CAM on every DVB device?

Petri Helin phelin at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:18:35 CET 2008

Simon Baxter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Simple question, do you need a separate CAM for every DVB device you add?
>
> I'm receiving a cable service from a single provider and want to decode up
> to 2 boquets at once.  Do both DVB cards need to have their own CI/CAM?

AFAIK, that is exactly the case. If there are any exceptions, I have not
heard of them. CAMs that I have tried didn't even allow multiple stream
decryption.

Perhaps the new USB port CI models, like Hauppauge's WinTV-CI, can be
used with several cards at the same time? Although the support for them
on Linux side is unknown to me.

-Petri