[vdr] 576i output on DVI->HDMI?

Ville Aakko ville.aakko at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:53:05 CEST 2008

2008/7/15 Jukka Vaisanen <Jukka.Vaisanen at exomi.com>:

> My understanding is that 576i in HDMI is actually done as a 100Hz
> displaymode where each frame is sent twice. This is because the HDMI
> spec doesn't allow "speeds" as low as required by true 576i..

I'm not actually answering your question (I couldn't since I don't
have any experience with these modern TVs), but, AFAIK, you wouldn't
get very good results by doing what you describe. If every frame of
50Hz interlaced moving picture is shown twice, you'll get annoying
blurriness and / or jerky movement. Anyhow, the movement won't be
"smooth" as you might expect (because the frames are shown like this:
1-2-1-2-3-4-3-4-5-6-5-6-7-8-7-8 instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8). You'll
get much better results by doing "true" deintercaling, and showing
every "full" frame just once (i.e. 1+2-3+4-5+6-7+8 and so on). So what
you want would be quite useless, IMHO, though I could be wrong.
Someone correct me if you know better =).

If you really want to show interlaced material as they are supposed to
- i.e. you are a Hifi-lover - then the only "real" solution is to get
a display that can (truly) show 50Hz interlaced - perhaps via a DXR3
card, as you used to =).

> I am using xineliboutput currently as the software output device. Of
> course I would prefer it to use 576i for only the interlaced SD channels
> / recordings and change to 1080p for media player with HD content ;)

I'd just deinterlace via software (or hardware), and then upscale x2
(576 * 2 = 1052). Or, maybe forget the upscaling and send 576p (n *
50Hz) trough the HDMI/DVI.

Ville Aakko - ville.aakko at gmail.com