[vdr] Question about locales

Brian brian_dorling at t-online.de
Sat Jun 28 20:30:21 CEST 2008

Hi,

after moving to VDR 1.6 and a new Debian 2.6 based system I still need to play with locales.
The System language I am using is English:

VDR-test: locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Currently my locale is somehow not set correctly and runvdr cannot find anything in ./locale.

What I would like to know is, if I am using English EPG and German EPG, plus I want the OSD
of VDR to appear in English. Is that possible, will all characters be displayed correctly?
I also want vdr to output its logs in english, which is explained in the docs OK.

So how should VDR be setup for what I want?

Cheers Brian