[vdr] stream recordings using the streamdev-plugin

Artem Makhutov artem at makhutov.org
Tue Oct 21 22:21:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:59:04PM +0400, Goga777 wrote:
> > > is it possible to transcode mpeg2 to h.264 on fly for good quality bitrate (20 MBit/s) ?
> >
> > Yes, that is what the script is doing.
>
> fine
>
> but seems to me the CPU shouldis very powerful. Has somebody the experience - which cpu should be for transcode of
> 720i channels from mpeg2 to h264

Yes, sure. I have only transcoded mpeg2 to a low-resolution h264, to be
able to watch TV trough the internet.

I also read in the internet[1], that x264 is utilizing multiple cpu-cores
for h264 encoding, so I can imagine that encoding h264 on a Dual/Quad-Core
CPU can be faster that decoding it...

[1] http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520

Regards, Artem