[vdr] Tuning failures for transponder-locked tuners (VDR 1.4.7)

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 29 13:48:26 CET 2008

On Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2008, Teemu Suikki wrote:
> I have a VDR box with three DVB-T tuners.. All cards are
> saa7146+tda10045 -based budget cards.

[cut]

> I have tried killing VDR when the tuner is jammed, and then try tuning
> with tzap.. Tuning fails for the "already tuned" channel, but if I
> simply tune to another transponder and then back, it tunes fine. So
> apparently the problem is that VDR doesn't even try re-tuning because
> the tuners are "locked" to specific transponders in channels.conf..

1. So for example using cardX.
2. This card gets tuned to channel C1 by VDR.
Once it loses the lock and there is an ongoing recording VDR commits suicide
and hopes the problem fixes magically (maybe vdr-launch-script reloads
drivers ...) but it does not.
3. You kill VDR and run
tzap C1

That also does not lock.
But
tzap C2
tzap C1
does make it lock.

How should VDR know, it need to lock another frequency first to re-get a lock?

This clearly is a driver/hw bug. And you can only fix it by modifying the
driver.
So you best report this to the linuxtv-dvb mailinglist and attach more info:
exact used hardware, dmesg logs, ...

Regards
Matthias