[vdr] OT: Germany/IPTV: Watching private stations on PC?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 1 23:34:28 CEST 2009

Dear everyone,

some German providers offer IPTV. Public stations are broadcasted using
DVB IPTV/multicast(?) [1][2] and I can watch them using a special port
of the provided modem and for example mplayer.

Do you know if it is possible to watch also private stations on the
computer? Using the provided Set-Top-Box and a smartcard(?) it is
possible to watch those and even stream movies from a videothek.

I did not find any information or tutorials on the Web.

The thought behind this is, if I could not do this, if it would be
useful to build a PVR with vdr, if I was not able to play those
stations¹. One way solution would be to use DVB-T. But I would like to
circumvent that.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

¹ Sure, it still has advantages like the possibility to surf the Web and
to set up everything to my need. But the main point is still to watch
TV.

[1] http://www.ard-digital.de/14026_1
[2] http://www.unternehmen.zdf.de/index.php?id=248