[vdr] huge .TS files

martinez at embl.de martinez at embl.de
Mon Apr 20 16:49:09 CEST 2009

Question in case somebody can help or at least explain.

Yesterday on a standard satellite channel (TVEi) I recorded about 2 hours and
found 10 files x 2 gigs each recordings, thats about 20 gigs.

I know that on a dreambox the same 2 hours of recording takes no more than 5
gigs and the files are also .TS

So the question... why such a huge difference in size? Is VDR recording
something in a TS stream that a dreambox is not?
And is there something I can do about this? Some patch, plugin or script to
compress/convert these huge files?