[vdr] vdr shutdownskript - wrong time

Ian Bates ian_and_joanna at talktalk.net
Tue Dec 22 22:36:00 CET 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 19:39, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Looks like vdr's shutdownskript hook is not properly working. Since
> it seems to be undocumented in vdr man page i took my information
> from here:
>
> http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/C%27t-VDR_-_Hooks
>
> #!/bin/sh # Simple ACPI shutdown hook
> # $1 : Next timer seconds from 1970 from 1970/01/01, UTC
> # $2 : Next timer seconds from now
> # $3 : Next timer title
> # $4 : Shutdown forced
>

> If the time is far enough in the future this is correct, if it is
> only few minutes in the future it gets horribly wrong (now +30
> minutes or something similar)
> (The argument $1 is supplied wrong to the script)
>
> This is vdr 1.7.10 . I remember that some people have written this
> is a known problem. But why is it happening ? Has somebody debugged
> this allready ?

 From the MANUAL:

   Min. event timeout = 30
   Min. user inactivity = 300
                          If the command line option '-s' has been
set, VDR will
                          automatically shutdown the computer if the
next timer
                          event is at least MinEventTimeout minutes in
the future,
                          and the user has been inactive for at least
                          MinUserInactivity minutes. Setting
MinUserInactivity
                          to 0 disables the automatic shutdown, while
still
                          retaining the possibility to manually
shutdown the
                          computer.

There is your 30 mins.  No bug, a 'feature'.

My VDR is set to these defaults.  If I try to shutdown before 30 mins,
I am prompted by VDR to press Power again to FORCE shutdown.  If this
is the case I cannot recall exactly but I think the wakeup is set to
30 mins from the forced shutdown, rather than the next timer.

If I recall a mailing list discussion there was an argument along the
lines that if a timer was set to record in less than a certain value,
30 mins by default, it is 'cheaper' in terms of power and hardware
shutdown/restart cycle degradation to keep the computer running.

I have not played with this setting so I cannot comment on VDR
behaviour with a lower setting for this value.  Please report back if
you experiment.

Seasons Greetings,

Ian.