[vdr] Recommendation for new hd vdr system.

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 22:36:29 CET 2009

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:23:26 -0800
VDR User <user.vdr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Theunis Potgieter
> <theunis.potgieter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What you could do is to make a boot process similar to most rescue or
> > live-cd/usb. The idea is to make the whole thing run in ram, so boot
> > by using network or memory stick, copy squashfs to ram and run from
> > there. Should be lightning fast.
>
> Do you have a howto for this?  I would like to give it a try myself.

The easiest starting point would be Debian Live
<http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/> because it's designed to be
customisable (so you can easily pre-install VDR etc, and hopefully
easily get it to automount other filesystems eg NFS) and to search for
another partition with a specific label on the stick to use as a
writable home partition or even a writable root.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk