[vdr] [OT] Questions to VGA2SCART cable

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 25 13:07:53 CET 2009

Dear readers,

I am planning to set up a low budget VDR using the VGA2SCART patches
[1]. Therefore I need a VGA2SCART cable. The distance between the VDR
and the CRT TV will be probably 5 meters.

There are some howtos on the WWW on how to build a cable yourself [2].
But I am not experienced in soldering, so I have the following
questions.

1. Are VGA2SCART cables you can buy also suitable and do you have
experiences what manufactures produce good quality cables?

Searching the WWW I found the following offers but no comparison or
review about the quality.

http://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vga+scart+kabel&tag=googhydr08-21&index=aps&hvadid=1182511121&ref=pd_sl_9bos8gcjec_e
http://www.kauflux.de/?id=FROOGLE&_artnr=8429706
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61223614.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61223614/Products/avkabscavga50&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&Locale=de_DE
http://www.google.de/products?hl=de&q=vga+scart+kabel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=G3ChSabnMtKd_gbns83WCw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title
http://www.supernature-forum.de/allgemeine-computerfragen/63171-grafik-gibt-es-vga-scart-kabel.html
http://forum.fachinformatiker.de/hardware/122150-vga-scart-kabel-tv.html

inakustik claims to have high quality cables.

http://www.in-akustik.com/de/KABEL/Home-Video/VGA-Scartkabel.htm

2. Are there any disadvantages in buying these cables?

a) I would guess, that most of the cables do not have plugs for audio
next to the VGA plug, so that I will need to either use an amplifier or
have to modify the cable and solder some wires to the SCART-plug.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

¹ With around 10 € for a 5 meter cable they do not seem to be that much
expensive.

[1] http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-July/017347.html
[2] http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=742945#post742945