[vdr] xinelibout --hud + xcompmgr = tearing

Jörn Reder joern at zyn.de
Wed Mar 18 22:54:29 CET 2009

Alex Betis wrote:

> I gave the nice xinelibout hud another try, but have to revert back since
> running composite manager
> creates tearing while watching movies. I've tries with xcompmgr with -n
> option.
> Does anybody know how to fix that?
> Or maybe there is another lightweight composite manager available?
> Without xcompmgr running there is no tearing at all.

This is a known limitation of (at least) the NVidia drivers. Quoting the

The Composite extension also causes problems with other driver

     On X.Org 7.1 and higher, the driver will properly redirect video into
     offscreen pixmaps. Note that the Xv adaptors will ignore the
     sync-to-vblank option when drawing into a redirected window.

Joern Reder
-> http://www.exit1.org/
-> http://search.cpan.org/~jred/