[vdr] [OT] ARM based devices for VDR server and client

Michael Stepanov michael at stepanoff.org
Tue Nov 10 14:33:23 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 03.11.2009, 09:49 +0200 schrieb Michael Stepanov:
> > IMHO nVidia Ion is much better option.
>
> Did you try both options or is this just your point of view from reading
> the specs?
>
> > Especially for HDTV.
>
> As far as I know the Beagle Board is supposed to play 720p without any
> problems. See for example [1]. The NVIDIA ION is supposed to do 1080p
> with VDPAU, but I think I do not need it yet.
>
> + The Beagle Board should use less power.
> - More people run and test x86 hardware.
> • Both use proprietary drivers.

Agree with you. But 720p on the Beagle Board is a hack while nVidia Ion is
reality ;) In any case this is just my opinion. You can find easily case, MB
with different options such external PSU, PCI extension or ready made HTPC
based on nVidia Ion. Regarding the power consumption. I don't think that the
difference between Ion and Beagle Board is extremely big. More efficient way
to reduce energy consumption is replace all kitchen appliances to energy
save ones, use thermostat to control temperature, switch off unnecessary
electrical devices  and use energy saving lamps :)

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnDpH3543Q

Cheers,